Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Beginning

Today was the first day on the job for me in quite some time. The economy has not been so friendly to me (and a few million others). It was nice to finally come in out of the cold. The new company is really excited to have me and vice-versa. I thought this would be a good time to resurrect a defunct blog since I will have ample substance to post about now.

Today’s topic - That First Day

My last “first day” was 10 years ago. I had forgotten the assimilation process. Today it all occurred at a dizzying pace.

8:30 AM

Meet my new manager

9:00 AM

Hand off to HR for corporate assimilation. Review policies and benefits and fill out necessary paper work (homework)

10:00 AM

Engineering meeting I

11:00 AM

Engineering meeting II

12:00 PM

Meet up with manager and CEO for corporate overview & lunch

1:30 PM

Product management team meeting

3:00 PM

IT review of phone and computer setup

With the assimilation complete now what? I find myself facing a triple learning curve with this new position:

  • New company and their processes
  • New product domain
  • Finally a new product form (HW - new vs. SW - old).

The big question is what to start on first? I am going after the new product domain.

What would you do or what have you done if you have recently found yourself in a similar position?

0 comments: